Thursday, February 4, 2010

2nd Observation

During my second observation I chose the student with whom I will study for the ensuing case study. He was among the few that came up to Charlotte and I upon our first visit to show us something interesting records that had been broken in his Guinness book. I found out the other day that he is one of 6 children, and so may be eager to take some spotlight for himself, which is something that he and I have in common. I also played antonym go-fish with several groups of kids, and I am glad I had a chance to get to know some of them and how they are socially prior to teaching my first lesson which will be next week. It will be on Math, and I have been given the option of teaching either flips, rotations and slides or symmetry. I am not overly worried about coming up with lesson ideas for either, but I do want to make my first lesson ultra engaging. I want to start off on the right foot, and after all first impressions...right?
Thus far I am enjoying the class, and the teacher, she is kindhearted and has been teaching for several years. I intend to pick her brain for knowledge of little things over the semester, like questions on routine, and how she developed her own personal things she does with her class. Will it just take time, or is there a way to figure it out sooner???

2 comments:

  1. Aaron, I do not envy your math lesson! I will be adding three numbers ( 2 or 1 digit) for my math lesson. I am using the Everyday math lesson, but changing it slightly for the group I will be working with. Does your teacher strictly follow Everyday math or is the lesson all up to you? I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your case study sounds interesting. I am always intrigued by children that come from large families, so I can't wait to hear more! Aaron, I am sure your lesson will not disappoint. I am really glad that you have had the chance to sit down with the students and get to know them one on one, I haven't really had that opportunity yet, so I am looking forward to my lesson as a way to get to know the students better.

    ReplyDelete