Wednesday, February 10, 2010

1st Lesson

So today I taught my first lesson. It was on symmetry. Initially I had a plan for the kids to do name monsters, whereby they write their names in block or bubble letters, on a folded piece of paper, then cut their names out. And when they unfold the paper, behold! symmetry come alive!!!!
This all went according to plan, but a couple of days before, I received some suggestions from Dr. White and my cooperating teacher stating that my other plan for them gluing the names on pieces of construction paper and using their names as torsos, and so add arms, legs and a head (thereby creating name monsters, the name of the lesson) would take way too long. So, instead I brought a big piece of board, and they all glued theirs on.
On the whole I think the lesson went very well, however they got out of hand a little bit towards the end. I started by making them laugh and breaking some ice, but perhaps that it what helped them get carried away in the end. Or perhaps, they were just excited to have someone new teaching them something. I think they really enjoyed the lesson, and I think it helped cement the learning that had already been done re. symmetry. In 2 weeks I will be teaching an English lesson, I think on cause and effect, and that should be really fun. I am not sure what we'll do yet, but I am sure I will get some ideas soon enough!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you did a great job Aaron! Your lesson sounds so fun! It will be great when you get the chance to teach the lesson as you initially had it, when time will not be such a factor. I felt rushed today during my lesson since I did it during our last block of time spent in the classroom.

    Our teacher did a lesson on cause and effect last week and the students loved when she used the Purell bottle as an example of cause and effect. I.E: Cause=you push the purell pump ; Effect: Purell comes out (except she made it a little bit more fun in that she basically let them squirt it on the floor. The 2nd graders got a big kick out of it!)

    ReplyDelete