Thursday, February 18, 2010

class

Today Charlotte taught her lesson on how many drops of water could fit on a penny. I remember doing that activity during my Math and Science class with Dr. Nabors last semester, and my surprise at how many drops would fit on there. I was very tempted to spread the word around that they will all be so surprised that their guesses of 5 or 6 drops would be dead wrong. I am very glad I did not, first of all because it would be stepping on Charlotte's toes, and secondly because nothing could beat the authenticity of their shock and awe, when they found out how many could actually fit on the penny. Next week I will be teaching a lesson on cause and effect. As of now, I am considering having my lesson mainly be concerned with role-playing. I would divide the class into groups of two or three based on certain scenarios I give them. I give them the characters and either the cause of an event or the effect, then they each present to the class the scene in its entirety. I have work out some kinks still, like standards, and lack of technology and stuff, but that's where I am at now.

2 comments:

  1. Your lesson sounds exciting. A role-playing lesson using cause and effect will be a great hands-on approach to learning that relationship. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that after a certain age teachers forget that students still need hands on learning and opportunities to get out of their seats.

    My cooperating teacher actually told me last week that she missed student teaching because she had opportunities to be creative and give the students fun lessons without worrying about what she "should be dong." I think that your lesson will be a hit and it will give you another lesson to look back on and remind yourself that students do not have to sit with paper and pencil to learn.

    ReplyDelete