Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Intro Field 2
So, Being a teacher has been the only thing that I have excelled at, aside from acting, and since getting any sort of job acting is as likely as winning the lottery, teaching is the next best thing. I have always had a rapport with children, I can make them laugh, and that brings me happiness. I suppose my ideal job would be to entertain children, like my late grandfather who had the prestige of being a professional clown, and I even liken being an entertainer to being a teacher. You have to hold people's attention, and teach them new things. Over the last few months, as I completed my Field 3 experience, my desire has grown stronger, and my certainty that this is the correct career path for me has become more solidified in my mind. I am worried about my handwriting. It is far from neat. I must remember to slow down, especially for young children. A teacher is constantly modeling the correct things to do and say. I also worry about not knowing the correct answers to certain questions children have, especially when it comes to math. I am terrible for example when it comes to fractions. I do however work well under pressure, so I know that whatever is thrown at me, I will be able to handle with confidence and professionalism!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I actually think it's good for children to hear you say "I don't know" in response to their questions from time to time. They need to know that adults don't always know the answers. It's more important that they understand how to find answers and you can definitely model that when they ask a question you're unable to answer. I also agree that teaching is somewhat similar to entertaining. We might refer to it more commonly as trying to "engage" the students rather than "entertain" them, but if you ask me it's VERY similar.
ReplyDeleteAaron-
ReplyDeleteYou do have an innate power to entertain! When you came to play the drums in my class this past Septemeber you made a lasting impression on my class! So much so that it is now January and they are still asking: "Ms. Erin, when is your dad coming back?" :) Hope to have you back soon!
Aaron,
ReplyDeleteI understand your concerns about your handwriting. I feel the same way about my spelling. I misspell common words all of the time and I often will not write what I want to because I can't spell the word. I worry all the time that a 5 year old is going to ask me how to spell a word and I won't know. Or worse, I will misspell something, a parent will see, and think less of me as a teacher.
I guess we will both have to practice and develop strategies that make us comfortable inside of our classroom...