Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Final Lesson for Field 3/31

Today I taught my last lesson. It was a science lesson, and specifically to do with erosion. I don't know if I am just feeling drained and faded lately for energy, but today's lesson was probably the least exciting and new for the kids. I started with a 4 corners activity, where the kids got up and walked to whatever picture they deemed most fitting to the word erosion (pics were a smokestack, man representing humanity, bulldozer, and tornado). That was a good activity to do first, cuz after they chose their pics to stand near, I had them discuss with a neighbor why they chose that pic, and then discuss with the rest of the class those reasons. It was good because it gave me some good clues into how in depth I had to be for the rest of the lesson, which consisted of 2 handout readings on soil erosion, one for the term itself, and one for humanity's impact on erosion, and follow-up questions for each. In all my intro was a bit weak; I did not really connect it too well to what they have been doing in science. When I asked if anyone learned something today though, I wish I had my camera on me, because just about every hand shot up, and I called on many students and they all said something different, but each being equally valid. I am generally happy with how it went, again a stronger intro would have sealed the deal to make it a pretty stellar lesson. I am done now with the lessons for field, but I still have to more short lessons to teach for Language and Literacy.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is perfectly normal to feel a bit drained at this point Aaron. We're humans, not robots. I felt the same about my lesson today, but we just having to keep on going...the light is getting brighter at the end of the tunnel! Great job at informally assessing the students on the spot during the beginning of the lesson. I feel like these students are so eager to share what they know with us because we are someone "new" to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all too hard on ourselves. You said it yourself "just about every hand shot up" that is am amazing accomplishment! Not only did they all learn something, but they were confident enough in their answer to want to share it with you.
    Congratulations on completing your final lesson!

    ReplyDelete